Thursday, January 29, 2015

A little more on the Raymond P.O.

Last week's blog featured the dedication ceremony for the new Raymond Post Office back in 1962. Since that posting, I have heard from all three Carriker kids (Janna in Iowa, and Ken and Linda who both live in Texas). Linda mentioned how she loved going there on "those hot summer days when the air conditioned post office felt like heaven," and how the marble floor always "felt nice and cool when I slipped off my Dr. Scholls." 

I had forgotten all about those days when I rode my bike to the post office and probably stayed there a while, despite the No Loitering sign in the lobby. The place was always so bright and tidy, and I loved the smell -- a combination of cleaning products and important papers. I faithfully read the FBI's "most wanted" bulletins that were neatly posted on the walls, and I always made a special effort to remember the faces of the criminals, you know, so I could identify them if they ever happened to travel through Raymond.  

Linda also reminded me about the combination locks on the mailboxes (she even remembers their combination which is amazing -- I-B-F/G). While I don't recall our combination, I do remember our box number (146) and the day I learned how to open it. Not only had I finally achieved the same level of knowledge and responsibility as my older sisters, but I would be using this knowledge for my new Saturday morning job at Dad's store. In addition to dusting the merchandise, my duties included going to the post office to buy stamps and get the mail. This required crossing main street with large amounts of cash (as much as $10) and then transporting the valuable stamps, change, and important mail back to the store. It was such a huge responsibility that it's no wonder I was paid so much -- a whopping $3.00 (cash) per week! It was comforting to know that if I forgot the combination or had difficulty getting the box open, I could always go to the counter and Mr. Convery would be nice enough to just hand the mail to me. It makes me a little sad to think about how someone else now has P.O. Box 146 in Raymond. I sure hope they're nice. 

When I visited Doyle Public Library in December, I came across the following photograph and article that appeared in the Raymond News on Thursday, December 28, 1978. I thought it would be a good follow-up to last week's blog. 


John J. “Jack” Convery, Raymond Postmaster, will retire tomorrow, December 29, 1978 after giving over forty-two years of courageous and efficient service to the Raymond community. He started with the post office in June, 1936 on a part time basis when his aunt, the late Miss Mayme Convery was postmaster. Following her death, he was appointed acting postmaster on April 15, 1952 and was later appointed postmaster on August 5, 1953. At that time the post office was located in the building now occupied by WelBrak Builders, Inc. The present post office building was erected in 1962, having been dedicated in September of that year.

Due to the increase in the volume of business the status of the Raymond office was changed from third class to second class in 1963.

During Jack’s term in the office he has seen many changes in the postal service. For example, he saw the mail come in by train (five times daily for a number of years). Later the mail came in by Star route carrier from Taylorville twice daily. Now the Star route delivers mail only once daily from Springfield.

Jack’s wife is the former Rosalie Weitekamp and they are the parents of six children, Kathleen Spence of Cape Girardeau, Missouri; Patricia Pope of Harvel; Mary Ellen Gentry of Tampa, Florida; Angela Smith of Chatham; Ronald and Mark, both of Raymond. They have seventeen grandchildren.

Someone will be appointed to be acting postmaster who is already in the present postal service elsewhere. In due time a permanent postmaster will be appointed.

Jack is interested in all sports and now will have more to enjoy them. He and Rosalie plan to travel some and will welcome the opportunity to become better acquainted with some of their grandchildren who live some distance away. Of course, they plan to live in Raymond.

Good and best wishes Jack, on your retirement from a job well done. The entire community greatly appreciates the many years of fine service given them.

Raymond's 125th Anniversary book, published in 1996, reprinted the Raymond Centennial book information that I posted last week as well as the following update:

John Convery retired in December of 1978. He was followed by Louise Westcott of Morrisonville, who held the position until 1988. Temporary “Officers in Charge” took over until February of 1990 when Bob Herman became Postmaster. A Raymond native, Bob resides in Harvel and was the Postmaster there from May 1980 to February 1990. He began his postal career in 1978 as a part-time clerk at the Raymond Post Office. In May of 1979, he transferred to the Carlinville Post Office for a year before taking the Harvel position. In addition to Postmaster, there are four other employees at the Raymond Post Office: Bob Langen: rural route #1 carrier; Terry Brockmeyer, rural route #2 carrier; Julie Millburg, clerk; and Connie Langen, custodian.

No comments:

Post a Comment