Friday, August 14, 2020

Good Neighbors

When I copied this photo from the October 22, 1964 issue of The Raymond News, I didn't realize I had cut off the caption in the process, so I'm not sure who the neighbors pictured in the photo were actually helping. I decided to use it anyway, because I love the idea that in the event that a farmer became ill or died, leaving crops in the field, everyone would pitch in and help with the harvest. When my Grandpa Gamlin died suddenly in June, 1953, my grandma, Wilma Gamlin, was forever grateful for the help she received from her neighbors during that difficult year. 

As a kid growing up in Raymond, I was taught that people are generally goodhearted. Anytime I complained about someone or expressed anger about someone, my parents would almost always point out the good qualities of that particular person and encourage me to do the same. I can still hear my dad saying, "so and so" would give you the shirt off his back if you needed it." That was dad's way of saying shut up, cut the person a break, and get over whatever problem you have with them.     

Helping and caring for others has always been a way of life in Raymond. The Fire Department, and later the Ambulance service were both staffed by dedicated volunteers. If someone had a serious illness, if a family lost their home to a fire, or if some other tragedy occurred, people always stepped up immediately to do whatever they could to help. I experienced the kindness of members of the community first-hand, when my parents were in a serious accident in 1996. I have never forgotten the outpouring of love and support that was shown to our family during that time, and I often think about how lucky I am to have grown up in Raymond with so many good neighbors.    





No comments:

Post a Comment