Friday, September 19, 2014

The Hairburner

In 1975, all the hair stylists in Raymond were forced to raise their prices, and I'm sure that created quite a stir around town.  This advertisement appeared in The Raymond News on August 28, 1975:


When I was a kid, I was always fascinated by mom's weekly hair ritual that dad referred to as "going to the hairburner." After a couple hours at the beauty shop getting washed, dried, curled, teased, and sprayed, mom would end up with an up-do that held up for an entire week. It was low maintenance, only requiring a quick touch-up with a comb each morning, along with a little Aqua Net to hold it in place.  

On Thursday afternoons, mom, along with several other women who also worked at the First National Bank, got their hair done together at Sandra's Boutique in Raymond (owned and operated by Sandy Broaddus Carron). I believe the Thursday afternoon regulars included mom, Mary Johnson, Dot Hough, and Marge Hough.  I know my mom looked forward to spending time with "the girls" each week, and while I'm not sure what happened at Sandy's, I know it always stayed at Sandy's.

No comments:

Post a Comment