Thursday, April 3, 2014

Vietnam

Vietnam Veterans Day was observed last Saturday, March 29th. Three million U.S. service members were in the Vietnam War, and the death toll of Americans surpassed 58,000. The last U.S. troops left Vietnam on March 29, 1973. In 2012, President Obama proclaimed that this anniversary would be observed to "reaffirm one of our most fundamental obligations:  to show all who have worn the uniform of the United States the respect and dignity they deserve, and to honor their sacrifice by serving them as well as they served us."

Men from Raymond who served in Vietnam include:
Robert Bandy, Joseph Barto, Robert Barto, William Barto, Gordon Casey, Ross Clark, Mike Dagon, Kenny Duff, Don Fuller, Tom Glover, Rick Hailstone, Ronald Hefley, Robert Herman, Robert Holder, John Honnies, Terry House, David Huber, Fred Huber, Norman Jackson, Mike Langen, Larry Lewis, Carl Mayer, Jr., James R. McCallum, Loy McCart, David Mills, Kenneth Mondhink, Richard Polston, Terry Polston, Rollie Pope, Charles Rhine, Freddie Roach, Mike Slightom, Michael Stephenson, Francis "Butch" Todt, Louis Tucker, William Tucker, Joseph Wagahoff, James Walch, Thomas M. Walch, Thomas Walz, Melvin Wempen, Jr., and Dennis R. Williams. (Since this is my blog, I am also including my brother-in-law, Tim Lebeck, of Harvel.)

Pete Henderson provided the names to me back in 1996. Pete had kept extensive records on Veterans from our area and he gladly shared the information with me when I was doing research for Raymond's 125th anniversary celebration book. I apologize if any names were omitted. There were several other men from Raymond who also served our country during the Vietnam era, but were not sent directly to the battle zone. My brother, Joe, was one of those men.

I have somewhat vague memories of 1970 when both my brothers were serving in the U.S. Army. Bob was sent to Vietnam, and Joe was stationed in Germany. Even though mom and dad did their best to go on as usual, it was obviously a stressful time for our family. My dad and I still played Ring Toss every single night after supper, but I could tell he was distracted by the NBC News coverage showing images of helicopters and jungles, and protesters, and Richard Nixon. Sometimes we had to stay home to "sit by the telephone," and I'm sure mom held her breath every time the phone or the doorbell rang. She was so nervous that she lost most of her hair and eventually had to wear a wig. Our family looked forward to the white envelopes with the red, white, and blue borders that would arrive regularly from my brothers, and occasionally Joe and Bob would be mentioned in The Raymond News under the heading, "Men in the Service." To keep busy, mom and Grandma Gamlin baked homemade oatmeal raisin cookies, and shipped them overseas in half-gallon milk cartons. The boys came home when I was seven. Mom's hair grew back. Life went on.

It would be many years before I would even begin to understand and appreciate the sacrifices that were made by my brothers and by all the men and women who served during the Vietnam era. I'm sure that even today, I don't fully realize the extent of those sacrifices. I do however, make it a point to always remember (as the saying goes), freedom is not free. Thank you to all who served.








1 comment: